What type of information do we collect?
- We collect certain personal information about visitors and users of our site. The most common types of information we collect are things like: user names, member names, email addresses, other contact details, payment information such as payment agent details, transactional details, support queries, forum comments and web analytics data. Information or an opinion is your “personal information” if it is about you as an identified or identifiable individual.
How we collect information
- We may collect personal information directly when you provide it to us, automatically as you navigate through the site or through other people when you use services associated with the site.
- When you provide personal information to us via the site you’re consenting to us collecting and using that information in line with this policy and the user terms of the site. You are likely to provide personal information when you complete membership registration and buy or provide items or services on our site, subscribe to a newsletter, email list, submit feedback, enter a contest, fill out a survey, or send us a communication.
- If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our services and you may not be able to carry out transactions or access the full range of features available through our site.
Information we collect about you from others
- Although we generally collect personal information directly from you, we may on occasion also collect information about you from other people (such as the payment provider account details required to process a transaction) and by using tracking technologies such as cookies, web beacons and other web analytics software or services.
How do we use personal information?
- We may use your personal information in order for us to:
- operate the site and provide you with services described on the site, like to verify your identity when you sign in to the site, to facilitate and process transactions that take place on the site, to respond to support tickets and to help facilitate the resolution of any disputes
- customise our services and websites, like advertising that may appear on the site, in order to provide a more personalised experience
- update you with operational news and information about our site and services like to notify you about changes to our site, website disruptions or security updates
- provide you with information that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
- carry out technical analysis to determine how to improve the site and services we provide
- monitor activity on the site, like to identify potential fraudulent activity and to ensure compliance with the user terms that apply to the site
- manage our relationship with you, like by responding to your comments or queries submitted to us on the site or asking for your feedback or whether you want to participate in a survey
- manage our legal and operational affairs
- train our staff about how to best serve our community
- provide general administrative and performance functions and activities.
When may we disclose your personal information?
- We may disclose personal information to people like:
- companies that are in the Envato group of companies
- subcontractors and service providers who assist us in connection with the ways we may use personal information (as set out above)
- our professional advisers (lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc)
- regulators and government authorities in connection with our compliance procedures and obligations
- other people where we are authorised or required by law to do so.
- We use a network of global subcontractors and service providers in order to ensure that we maintain the best possible service standards. Some of the subcontractors and service providers to whom we may disclose your personal information, like service providers who provide us with cloud storage solutions, are based outside Australia (in places like Europe, Asia and the US). In order to protect your information, we take care where possible to work with subcontractors and service providers who we believe maintain an acceptable standard of data security compliance.
- The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored outside of Australia. It may also be processed by staff outside of Australia or by one of our service providers located outside of Australia. By submitting your personal information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information you provide us is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
How do we store your personal information?
- We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and our service providers, and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location. Personal information is subject to security and access controls, including username and password authentication and data encryption where appropriate.
How can you access your personal information?
- You can access some of the information that we collect about you by logging in to your account. You also have the right to make a request to access other information we hold about you and to request corrections of any errors in that information. You may also close the account you have with us at any time. Contact our privacy champion using the contact details at the end of this policy.
Choices regarding control of your personal information
- If you indicated that you are interested in receiving offers or information from us, we may send you communications about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you and only if you do not later ‘opt-out’ of such offers.
- With respect to your communications preferences, you can unsubscribe from emails by following the instructions included in the email or you can log into your account and update your email subscription options (remember you may have several accounts across our site). If your e-mail address has changed and you would like to continue to receive newsletters, you will need to access your account and update your e-mail address information in your account and sign-up again for the newsletter.
- We do not send unsolicited commercial e-mails (“spam”). We offer commercial e-mail recipients the opportunity to opt-out of further communications in every e-mail. We may not include an opt-out facility in e-mails concerning things like your purchases, the user terms, important updates and need-to-know messages.
- You also have choices about cookies, as described below. By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject cookies some parts of our site may not work properly in your case.
Cookies (not the type you eat!) and web analytics
- Cookies are used to enhance your use of the site, such as remembering that you are logged in. You are able to minimise or block cookies using the privacy settings in your internet browser, but this may restrict your use of the site. For general information on cookies, see http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
- When you visit our site, there’s certain information that’s recorded which is generally anonymous information and may not reveal your true super-hero identity. The fancy term for this is ‘web analytics information’, and we only use this information for statistical and website development purposes and to improve our services to you. If you’re logged into your account some of this information could be associated with your account. We’re talking about the following kinds of details:
- your IP or proxy server IP
- basic domain information
- your Internet service provider is sometimes captured depending on the configuration of your ISP connection
- the date and time of your visit to the website
- the length of your session
- the pages which you have accessed
- the number of times you access our site within any month;
- the size of file you look at
- the website which referred you to our site
- the operating system which your computer uses
Information about children
- Our site is not suitable for children under the age of 13 years, so if you are under 13 we ask that you do not use our site or give us your personal information (if you are a young tech wiz, please direct your nearest responsible adult to use the site for you!). If you are from 13 to 18 years, you can browse the site but will need the supervision of a parent or guardian to become a registered user. It is the responsibility of parents or guardians to monitor their children’s use of our site.
Information you make public or give to others
When we need to update this policy
- We may need to change this policy from time to time in order to make sure it stays up to date with the latest legal requirements and any changes to our privacy management practices. When we do amend the policy, the changes will be effective straightaway. We’ll usually publish information about changes to be made to this policy on our site – but please be aware that it is your responsibility to check in and make sure you keep up to date with any changes to this policy.
How can you contact us?
- If you have any questions about our privacy practices, please contact our privacy champion in writing at PO Box 16122 Collins Street West Victoria 8007 Australia or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any concerns about how we have been managing your personal information, or if you think we have not been complying with Australian privacy law, you can make a complaint in writing to our privacy champion. We will consider your complaint and contact you to resolve the matter. For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, please visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.